2015 John Lucas Last Run Girls Showcase Recap
The John Lucas Last Run Girls Showcase was a success again in its 3rd year.
This event brought to the City of Houston all levels of NCAA College Coaches from across the
country and some of the most sought after girls’ talent. Friday kicked off with a FREE skills and drills session giving coaches another viewing opportunity to evaluate individual player skill ability and adaptability to higher level instruction. Surprisingly there were some younger players who stood out in this session and demanded everyone’s attention. The 2018-2021 Classes definitely have birthed some very good talent and it is going to be exciting to watch them grow and develop into highly skilled players. Some of the team matchups gave us a preview of what to expect in competition for this upcoming school season and it also exposed some hidden individual talents. Texas, especially Houston, is a Hot-Bed for girls’ talent. It’s growing at a very rapid pace. The John Lucas events and training opportunities will without a doubt help this girls market propel upward with no limits. His passion for the game and love for kids reaching their dreams is a perfect concoction for success.
The tournament was filled with so much talent that it’s absolutely impossible to capture every stand out player and every moment but below are some of the highlights of the Last Run and the teams who participated.
1. Atascocita High School had some good matchups especially against North Shore. Very competitive team with good energy, they were able to push the ball up the court and keep up with the pace of North Shore’s prolific point Chasity Patterson.
Jada Burks, 5’1” -G- 2016 stood out at the PG position with her exceptional speed and the ability to break down defenders.
Hannah Hopkins, 6’2”- F/C- 2016 with her size underneath is an athletic Forward/Center. She has a good skill level, rebounds the ball, boxes out, smart decision maker. To become a more powerful threat she will need to build lower body strength for a quicker leap and explosiveness.
2. Barbers Hill High School performed well and had a spectacular game against Westbury Christian. As a somewhat young team they make good decisions on the floor, good cuts and give/go lay-up opportunities. Their guards are active on both ends and make sure to give their highly ranked post touches every time down the floor.
Charli Collier, 6’4”- F/C -2018 #2 in the Country in her class is definitely an elite top performer. She has a soft touch on her shot, nice size in the paint to block shots but is very versatile on the perimeter, has nice face up game, good mobility and lateral quickness, attacks the rim, can initiate transition.
Madison Armer, 5’11” -G- 2018 is an aggressive player, she reads the defense well, does a good job in moving after getting rid of the ball and was able to get some effective give/go scoring opportunities. I really liked her focus and how in tune to the game she was. A nice long wing player that can get shots off or get movement so the defense has to make decisions.
3. Bellaire High School has some small quick guards that, if they aren’t contained, will get fast break scoring opportunities all day long. They will get to the rim and they are able to feed their post player who can score and get second shots from her rebounding. They didn’t have a high percentage of FG from the perimeter most come in penetration off of transition or breaking down slower guards off the dribble.
Audrianna Brown, 5’4” -G- 2017 is a quick player. She will take outside shots if left open but will blow past her defenders if given enough space. She will need to develop a left hand for better ball handling and not be a one dimensional player.
Mya Hollinashed, 6’4” -C- 2017 has a noticeable nice long body. She is mobile, agile on the floor. She was hard to box out because she does a good job underneath giving her team 2nd and 3rd shot opportunities. She has descent footwork and post moves and can get stronger for more explosive moves and counter moves. Her leaping ability can also get better for lateral quickness.
4. Blue Star Houston Skyrise has a good young team. Full of energy on the floor. They are still growing and getting an overall team identity and IQ for the game but definitely compete.
McKinizie Green, 5’5” -G- 2019 is from Manvel High School. She is a jet quick guard. She has quick Hands on defense and causes a lot of deflections, she can score at will, finishes with floaters , off the dribble moves to the paint are more explosive as she continues to get stronger legs. She can and will take perimeter shots. She will have High major opportunities.
5. Channelview High School is another aggressive team. They play very well together, strong competitive group of girls. They have some good mid- major players who are being highly recruited.
Ariana Taylor, 5’11” -P- 2018 is a strong young player. She plays with intensity, very strong with
the ball, gets position for rebounding, digs in on defense, she can improve her ball-handling but
she will be a threat no doubt.
6. Clear Creek High School is a smaller team, not much size but capable of causing havoc on the perimeter with their guard play and movement. They have young players on the roster so growing is still evident but they have an apt for learning so they will be successful.
Lauren Sinclair, 5’6” -G- 2019 is another guard with speed. She has descent ball handling, can get to the basket off the dribble. She can improve her visibility by being more consistent and by
defining her game, finding her identity as a player. She definitely has potential.
Keondra White, 5’8”- G- 2017 is a good facilitator of the ball , she is good off of the dribble, She
will need to develop an outside shot working on her technique and form.
7. Crossover Athletics is a highly competitive team. They love contact, play very physical, they love attacking the basket, digging in on defense, go for loose balls, rebound, get second shots. They had some great matchups and a close one to the end with Houston Dream.
Dunnashean Evans, 5’5” -G- 2016 attends Bellaire High School has the potential to be an elite guard, highly athletic, good Lead guard ball handling, attacks off the dribble, quick, aggressive on both ends, a scorer mind.
Bria Cesar, 5’11” -SF- 2016 attends Austin High School Fort Bend she has nice athletic body, very agile, also an aggressive player.
8. D Gib Nation 17U was another team with some good young talent on the roster. This team was ready to compete each game. They were also aggressive, were sometimes not spaced well on the court or got a lot of ball movement but were competitive on both ends of the court.
Miya Crump, 6’1” -G/F- 2018 attends KIPP Academy. She is a raw talent, descent ball handling,
She was on the perimeter and can score, not afraid of contact and can play physical. She can
become a standout player if she picks up her game intensity on both ends of the court, run
the floor, work on ball movement and spacing.
Ogechi Nwodo 6’4”- F/C- 2017 attends Sharpstown High School. She is actually new to the game she has great size in the paint, rebounds with power, gets the ball out for transition, nice body and strong, she can block shots. She will need to work on her footwork in the post, her post moves and scoring ability.
9. Dekaney High School is a true competitive team. They ran the ball, dig in on defense, pressure the ball, attack the basket. They had some absolutely great matchups against North Shore, Hightower, and Wagner. This team is full of potential and I look for them to have a good season.
Jaelyn Richard-Harris, 5’2”- G- 2016 is small but a strong athletic player. She is able to capitalize off of her size and quickness. Lead guard ball handling, scorer, a defender, explosive to the basket. She competed against one of the top guards in the city, Chasity Patterson, and was able to hold her own very very well. She gets the job done. Definitely a High Major prospect.
Jasmine Smith, 5’7” –G- 2017 very athletic guard, a scorer, can shoot with descent range. Has potential for a D-1 school. She had a good performance for coaches to watch.
10. George Ranch High School has a good potential team with a mix of level players on the roster. They don’t have a lot of size but they have some key players that work really hard and together their chemistry works well.
Kendall Bess, 6’0” -F- 2016 has an obvious athletic body, she can score underneath or out on
The perimeter. She plays extremely hard, aggressive, cuts off the passing lane, rebounds
Will get on the floor and dive for balls, can get to the rack, a special player with high potential
11. Hightower High School is a very fast paced team. They are competitive, push the ball, attack the basket, pressure defense. They get the ball out quick and have guards that will get it up quick and score quickly if it’s given to them. Great chemistry, I expect them to have a good season this year also.
Adriana Rincon, 5’5”-G- 2016 is a force to be reckon with. She is quick, good lead guard ball handling, attacks the basket, aggressive on both ends of the court, pushes the ball in traffic,
Can play under control with composure, quick feet, very agile, explosive to the basket and on
Fast break. She has a chance to play at higher level and I’m looking forward to watching her
Play this season.
12. Katy Rebels 2019 Matte is a young team with so much potential. This program is definitely a program that focuses on training and development. They are still growing with their bodies but I was highly impressed with their skill level and capability at such young ages. They understand their team system and work to execute every time down the floor.
Rori Harmon, 5’4” –PG-2021 attends Campbell Middle School. She is a phenomenal guard. She has a high IQ of the game, good ball handling, can score at will, and has an outside presence on the perimeter. She will be highly recruited and on everyone’s radar very soon. I like this guard
A lot, she has great great potential.
13. North Shore High School is without question a very good team. They are one of the top teams in the
City of Houston, stacked with talent. They play physically; push the ball up and down, pressure defense when necessary. They can score, rebound, defend, and are a threat to any opponent.
Victoria Blankenship, 5’10” –F- 2016 highly impressed me with how physical she plays. She is a
Bull underneath the basket, boxes out and rebounds, because of her strength and how hard she
Works she is able to get 2nd and 3rd shot attempts. She works really hard all the time! She has a
Strong body and a strong will, thrives off of contact.
Alyssa Okoene, 6’1” –F/C- 2016 has a long body, wide span that causes havoc in the paint, she
Also boxes out for rebounds, has a nice soft touch shot, can hit the mid-range, has good footwork for post moves, she is mobile and agile.
Chasity Patterson, 5’6” –PG- 2017 is a nationally rank point guard and rightly so. She is a dynamic player, can break down defenders, attacks, she is very hard to guard, an impactful player, can hit the mid-range, a huge threat behind the arc, explosive and quick.
Mikayla Welch-Robinson, 5’6” –G-2016 uses the pump fake well to get to the basket, good off of the dribble, dribble drive off the baseline.
14. SA Fusion- Nuclear Elite caught my eye by how hard they compete on the floor. They play with constant intensity. Aggressive, pressure the ball, attack the basket, go for rebounds, dive for loose balls, push the ball up the court. They get knocked down and get back up with more fire. This team is stacked with up and rising young talent; they’ve only touched the surface with their potential. Great coaching staff also.
Deziray Turner, 5’8” –G- 2017 attends Churchill High School. She is an extremely athletic guard.
Hustles hard, can attack the basket, she can score, can play in traffic with contact, doesn’t mind being physical, competes on both ends, plays with energy and likes an up-tempo style of play, can improve her ball handling but she will be a strong 2 guard if she continues to get better. I like her potential a great deal.
Blanca DeLeon, 5’5” –G- 2018 attends Robert E. Lee High School. She is a quick little guard, very aggressive all the time, works on both ends of the court, can get to the basket, still learning the of when to shoot and when to pass, works hard, a competitor on the floor.
Jenesis Navarro, 5’2” –G- 2018 attends Robert E. Lee High School. Another quick guard on this team. Plays in traffic, pushes the ball, attacks the opponents on defense, doesn’t mind contact,
Always active and engaged on the floor. Still a young player learning the game and attaching to
15. SATCH has a growing team with a mix of young players. They play together as a team; play a structured systematic game at times. Definitely have some players who can score. Good team
Chemistry and unit on the floor.
Mikayla Schenck, 5’10” –G- 2018 attends Trivium Educators. She is very athletic, can score, attacks the basket, can push the ball, perimeter threat, ball handling, a young player growing
In the game. She will continue to get better and will be another good player for recruiters.
Madison Schenck, 6’0” –G/F- 2016 attends Trivium Educators. She is another athletic player
Can shoot, descent ball handling , competes on the floor, definitely a contributor to the game when she’s on the court.
16. The Woodlands High School is another team with a mix of levels on the roster. Still growing as a team. They understand how to play together, share the ball, sometimes spacing is an issue. They work hard on both ends of the court and will compete at the best of their ability until the end.
Payton Walker, 6’0” –F- 2016 is a big long wing player. She will score on the perimeter; she can also get to the rack, mobile, plays aggressive.
17. Karen Wagner High School is loaded with talent. A very competitive team, they had some great matchups especially against Dekaney. They have some great guard play. They move the ball, good spacing on the court and will cause defenders to have to react and make decision on how to guard them. Good team chemistry, aggressive, pushes ball, pressure defense when needed, good composure team.
Amber Ramirez, 5’8” –G- 2016 a nationally ranked guard who has verbally committed to TCU. Very skilled player, has good one on one moves similar to WNBA player Shoni Schimmel, court awareness, mid range shot and beyond the arc, nice quick shot release, up-tempo player. Over all a great player.
Kiana Williams, 5’8” –G- 2017 another nationally ranked guard. Quick, good off the dribble, good ball facilitator, plays under control, a scorer, and attacks, can split traps and reads the defense very well, likes an up-tempo game, is a threat on the perimeter beyond the arc, she is definitely a scoring point guard.
Tamyra Avery, 6’2” –P- 2018 has nice size, can add an extra presence in the paint, rebounds, a young player still growing in the game, I love her size and if she continues to get better and work on her ball handling as well as quicker feet she’ll be a good competitor in this game.
18. Triple D Hoops is a good program. They don’t have a lot of size but their guard play isn’t half bad. They are able to push the ball, get good looks at the basket, score off of transition and also execute their offensive sets. They have quick guards who can play physical and aggressive, they play well off of the momentum they create.
Michelle Fokam, 6’0” –G/F- 2016 attends Seven Lakes High School. Nice college athletic body. Descent speed and quick feet, She has a scorer mentality, can attack the basket, plays aggressive defense, ball handling, can hit the mid range, gets up on transition. Must work on consistency. She is being highly recruited now.
Jade Giron, 5’ 8” –G- 2017 attends Dobie High School. An impressive defensive player. Her defense is what caught my eyes, She is quick, plays pressure defense, collapses on the opponents, can cause deflections that lead to points. A very good defender when she puts her mind and tune into the game.
Hadassah Benenoch, 5’9” –F- 2016 attends Seven Lakes High School. Also another athletic
Player for this team. She also can get to the rack, descent ball handling, a hard worker on
Both ends of the court will also get some rebounds and pushes up on transition. She will
Need to find a way to stand out on the court and not get lost on the radar for recruiting.
19. Westbury Christian High School has a new team this year with the inclusion of more big players. They are a competitive team, working on perfecting their pick and roll play, dribble drive concepts to get more movement for their top guards. They are a physical team, aggressive on both ends of the court. They have some young players also who will add some depth as they continue to get better. A good team who will do great things again this season. They have one of the top rising PG, and some very mobile and agile bigs and wing players.
Marissa Banfield, 5’5” – G- 2017 is a highly competitive point guard. She has a consistent stroke
Anywhere on the perimeter but especially behind the arc. Good ball handling finishes with
Left and right hand, mid range has improved drastically, plays with intensity, aggressive on both
Ends of the court, attacks, moves without the ball, a good leader and general on the floor, good
Ball facilitator and distributor, does a good job off of the pick and roll, high IQ, and a team
Player. She is being heavily recruited.
Laura Daulton, 6’3” –F- 2-17 a strong player in the paint. She loves contact and can hang with
The best of them. She has a descent mid range shot with a soft touch; she can also hit the 3.
Boxes out and rebounds, kicks the ball out for transition, can execute off of the pick and roll
moves well for the dribble drive series, aggressive player on her opponent and
Causes havoc in the paint with her strength and mobility. Can play at the next level.
Tyra Cormier , 6’1”-F- 2016 adds to the trio. She is an extremely aggressive player, works hard
Gets up and down the court for transition, likes an up tempo style, can score, plays on both
Ends of the court, works well off of the offensive sets they have in place for pick and roll,
Pressure defense, good strong lower body which aides in rebounds and lateral quickness.
Mia Perkins, 6’2” –C- 2017 She also has nice size for the paint. I liked her rebounding and the
Ability to get 2nd shots up, she is very strong and aggressive. Plays with fire, constant movement
Fighting for position, not afraid of contact or finishing in traffic.
Emer Nichols, 6’4” –C- 2017 brings a big presence to the paint. She is visible and will cause
A lot of deflections in the paint and blocked shots. Not really a mobile or agile post player
But brings an added depth of size to the team.
Alexa Orrange, 5’11” –F- 2017 a new player to the game of basketball, she works hard, plays
Aggressive, rebounds, kicks the ball out quick, nice speed up and down the floor, a left handed
Player still developing a consistent mid range shot will pressure the ball on defense and get
Steals, very agile, and can play with contact, she is quick to get in the passing lanes making it hard for easy passes and movement of the ball, a strong minded player and a body to match that strength.